If you’ve ever considered LASIK here in Dallas / Fort Worth, the first thought might have been, “what can I expect?” Like a lot of medical procedures, LASIK surgery has advanced and improved over the years. Today, LASIK is allowing more patients to become less dependent on glasses or contact lenses. It’s not uncommon for our patients to tell us, “my eyesight is better without glasses than it was with glasses before I had surgery.”
Here is a shortlist of the most important things to expect:
1. A thorough examination to see if you’re a LASIK candidate. First, you must be 18 or older to have it performed. People well into their 40’s can be LASIK candidates as well. Age, vision health, and overall health can make a difference.
2. For your doctor to tell you everything you need to know. LASIK has become safer, more effective, and with faster recovery times. Still, LASIK is a surgical procedure, which is why your doctor should shoot straight with you (as ours do) about the benefits and any potential complications. This includes taking the time to answer your questions and listen to your concerns.
3. Skill, experience, and advanced technology. Phillips Kirk Labor, MD is known locally here in metro Dallas, and internationally, as a LASIK innovator, but also for his devotion to each patient’s well being. He uses an advanced procedure called iLASIK, which combines the Intralase IFS Femtosecond Laser with VISX technology. iLASIK was designed to improve results, but also safety, and patient comfort (an added comfort is that we perform the entire procedure in our office).
4. Mild, temporary post-surgery discomfort. The procedure itself involves very minimal or no discomfort, and takes only a few minutes. After surgery, a mild scratchiness, burning or itching is normal, which quickly improves as the eyes adjust and heal. We tell our patients to immediately get rest and use special eye drops we prescribe to speed the healing process.
5. Better vision. Our patients generally see better right after surgery, which continually improves as the days progress. LASIK isn’t permanent, and results can vary. But most every LASIK patient can enjoy clear vision for many years. This is why every LASIK procedure starts with a thorough examination – to ensure the best outcome, but also to inform you of everything that will happen.
There is much more our doctors can tell you about what to expect. If you’re considering LASIK, please call our Metro Dallas offices in Grapevine at 877-516-4364 to learn more and read what other patients have to say.